Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I am installing new front electric blinds in my 2009

Customer Question

I am installing new front electric blinds in my 2009 Fleetwood Discovery. The blinds do not work. I tested the power coming into the switch and there is no power. I think I found the fuse under the radio behind a door that goes under the dash. I checked to see if there was power at the fuse and there is none. I pulled out the fuse box and there is no wire leading to the fuse. Any ideas?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: constent
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am installing new front electric blinds in my 2009 Fleetwood Discovery. The blinds do not work. I tested the power coming into the switch and there is no power. I think I found the fuse under the radio behind a door that goes under the dash. I checked to see if there was power at the fuse and there is none. I pulled out the fuse box and there is no wire leading to the fuse. Any ideas?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

You can pull power for those from amost any source to get to that fuse box. Use the same sized wire as that coming out of the fuse. There should be a fuse block under the dash that is going to work or under the hood. If you aren't sure, add a photo of those areas to your post using the paperclip icon and I can direct you further here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The wire size coming from the blinds are quite a bit smaller then the wires coming out of the rocker switch for the blinds. There are 6 wire coming from the rocker switch and only 2 coming from the blinds. There is a labeled spot in the fuse box under the dash. There is a row of fuses that are on a continuous copper bar that is attached to 3 red wires. The other fuses have a white wire coming out of each fuse but the one labeled for the blinds does not. I thought it might have just detached but there is no unattached white wire in there. It seems that there may be another fuse box that feeds these rocker switches.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Is it the "Sunvisor Power" fuse?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think so. I placed a fuse in the identified slot but nothing worked. I tried my tester and got nothing on that fuse slot. I tried the other slots with my tester and they read 12 volts. I wonder if there is a fuse somewhere else?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Not that I know of...........whose chassis is that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
freightliner
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

You might want to contact Freightliner Customer Service and ask them for some help with the wiring diagrams for this. I have had a number of customers here tell me that was very productive. Otherwise, I would just rewire that circuit and add an inline fuse and not worry about that one.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you give me some simple directions on how to do that? I just wonder what all the other wires are for that are going to the switch when there are only 2 coming out of the motor from the blind.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

That is so the motor can reverse. You should have a ground lead and a hot lead coming off that fuse block. You just need to track the hot lead down and install in inline fuse and get to a good 12 VDC connection to hook it up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the red wire is the key to the switch. The rest of the wires are not needed? There are 2 red, 2 black, 1 blue and 1 white. Just get the same size wire with an inline fuse (how much) and hook it direct to the plug in? I would assume that the black wires are the grounds and those should be ok, do you agree? Do the blue and the white come from the blind motor to the switch?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

They are all needed..........just that you should have just one hot lead to each switch or that feeds both of them. Don't mess with the test of the wiring. One of those red leads should come down to the power source. See if you can follow it down to that area.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

"rest of the wiring....."

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've been trying but it is a mess of wires under that dash and they are all covered in plastic. The red wire is the key? There are 2 switches with 2 red wires each. Should I run 4 red wires with fuses (2 to each switch) from a power source?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

No.........there is just one power wire needed and it can service both switches. You are going to have to see which one leaves the switches and goes to the power source. Or contact Freightliner for some diagrams.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
since I did not get an answer do I get me money back?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

If that is what you deem correct here. I gave you the answer, but I just don't think that wiring is something you grasp well. I would just give a mobile tech a call and have them come over and assist you here. This would take about 10 minutes to fix.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i guess
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

I think had you contacted Freightliner Customer Service and gotten the wiring diagrams this would have been much easier. You can ask for a refund here any time you don't feel you got what you paid for.