Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a 1954 kenskill trailer. That has some kind of

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1954 kenskill trailer. That has some kind of electrical problem. When it is pluged in it will shock you if touch the frame or out side metal. Hope you can help. thanks Charles
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

You have what is called a "hot skin", A RV Hot-Skin condition occurs when the frame of the vehicle is no longer at the same voltage potential as the earth around it. This is usually due to an improper power plug connection at a campsite or garage AC outlet.To test for a hot skin get a volt meter, the red test lead on a bare metal portion of the RV; the frame, entry step, door frame, etc. Connect the negative test lead of the voltmeter to earth ground such as a water pipe. Run the test multiple times using several different metallic components on the RV. Make sure the meter is set at 250 volt scale, you should have a zero reading. shut the breakers OFF and then do the test again, turn on the breakers one at a time until you get the reading and that might help narrow it down some. This is an older trailer and I might start with trying another voltage source to make sure the supply is not the issue and then replace the cord. This can be dangerous as it is AC voltage. Might want to have a shop take a look at this... Hope this helps some....

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

HI was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....