gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Have new sw6de water heater. It has relay box where + and -

Customer Question

Have new sw6de water heater. It has relay box where + and - are located, which original heater does not. Relay also has orange wire. There is no information in instructions for connection of wire. Am now operating heater on gas only. Would like to operate on electric. Can you help? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Did this come with a manual or not? What was the make and model of the water heater you took out?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have checked both water heaters and instruction manuals and model is the same sw6de. There are seal numbers, but no additional information.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Water heater is a Suburban sw6de
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am waiting for a reply, thank you
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I would look on the data tag on the outside front and be sure that this isn't an Atwood model. A Suburban SW6DE has no orage wire, but an Atwood does. Let me know if that might be the case here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is not an Atwood. There is only two options, I think. The orange is either + or -. If I was to connect it to a ground- it shouldn't have negative effect if it is a +, am I right about this ?But if I was to do that and find out it's a + ___then I need to determine where to attach to a +. I would really like to get some positive input here
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I have no information about a SW6DE with that wiring. Can you attach a photo of this to your post? Use the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am unable to transfer pictures from cell. I will go elsewhere for information that I require.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.