Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I installed a new atwood 6710 water heater and cannot get it

Customer Question

I installed a new atwood 6710 water heater and cannot get it to lite. I have confirmed that I have gas pressure, and get a fan start and ignition sparking on water flow but no fire. I don't believe the gas valve is opening. what do I do??
Category: RV
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is an on-demand gas only water heater.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

When was the last time you checked the LP pressure at the tank regulator? That should be done at least once a year and is the most common problem when LP appliances won't light and stay on. Do that and then get back to me and we can do some testing if needed. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I am adding a copy of the installation manual in case you don't have it. Be sure that you got the hot and cold water connected correctly and that if you have a bypass for winterizing that it is set in the correct position. If you have no or restricted water flow the water heater won't ignite. http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/waterheaters/IOM-ODWH-90222-07-09-13.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or not? If you still need some additional input from me please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No haven't gotten to look at anything yet, but can the gas valve be manually shut off??
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I don't think on that model it can be. You may need to call Atwood Customer Service and get some help from them. This may have a defective part if everything else checks out good. I can tell you these are very fussy about gas pressure and if you didn't check that before you should.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I confirmed that there is gas pressure but I did not measure it. I read in the manual it should be 11" of water column while operating. What should it be while not operating??
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I set all my customer's regulators at 12 WCI which make it about 11 WCI with about 35K btu used at a single time.