Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Attempting to remove a pull out ( manualy grabbed and pull)

Customer Question

Attempting to remove a pull out ( manualy grabbed and pull) slidout in a 2003 tahoe
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, need to replace the floor under the slideout. Have removed the inside frame and the outside frame (picture frame looking metal parts). Pull out will now slide out so that the upper section of the rom clears the wall of the tariler, and teh room sags to the outside.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Have removed the screws holding the pullout rails to the room(coming up from teh bottom).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have attempted to pull the slideout straight out of the trailer, but there is a short stud wall looking framework under the inner end of the rails . That short wall runs into the inner wall of the trailer. This wall is connected to the sliding portion of the room.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
34;That short wall runs into the inner wall of the trailer." when I attempt to pull the room out of the RV.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

It would help if you could attach a photo or two to your post so I can see the area you are describing here. And are you supporting the whole slide room somehow so it doesn't sag down or fall of the trailer? I have done a number of these repairs in my own shop and I am familiar with the process, but each manufacturer builds these rooms somewhat differently and they use a number of different makes of slide hardware. Get back to me with this and I can give you some help on repairing this correctly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
pics on the way
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The little stub wall in the underneath, closed, pic does not move in or out, but it does move off the floor when the pullout rotates down and out by gravity.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Are you trying to remove the entire room from the trailer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to rebuild the floor under the room, and the floor is rotted to under the wall. I don't have to remove the room, if there is a nother way to get at the floor under the room.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
room floor is fine. Trailer floor is rotted
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

O.K. And that little "stub wall" is keeping the room from coming out you think? Isn't that part of that raised up area in the room? The "stops" should be on the rails themselves. Once those are taken out and the facing around the room removed (looks like you did that) then the room should slide out. I hope you have some good support for this to keep it level. Otherwise you may damage the rails.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the front of the box that forms the bottom of the room hangs down to almost the floor. The stub wall does not move in or ot. It does look like the rails are attached to the stub wall, but i can't see how the attachment works. No bolts, nuts, or screw heads are visible. The rails now can slide independently of teh room, since IO took out the screws from the the bottom. It is as if I could keep teh rails from sliding out, then slide teh room out independent of the rails, and then rotate the room down and out so as to bring the inner kickplate up and over the stub wall. Would there be any additional connections between the sliding rail attached to the room, other tha the screws I removed form teh outside bottom?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I pull out the room, it rotatoes easly about 20 degrees, down and out, and then I feel a slight resistance.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I don't think so, but I have never taken out a room exactly like that. All the ones I have done are larger and have no "stub wall" in there. Can't you get to that from the front by taking that area loose inside the room?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the floor of the pull out room is glud togethr into a box shape. no screws or bolts are visible for disassembly. I had to drill a hole in the front of the kickplate just to see under teh assembly.I have to stop for a few hours now. I will recontact later.Thanks for the help so far.2003 Tahoe glide light. 23 foot fifth wheelBryan
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

10-4. And you are most welcome! I am in California and will be at my shop later. I will offer you a phone chat option in case you think that might be helpful. No time limit or on number of calls.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Randall,. Was able to figure this out. Stub wall is normally bolted to teh floor, but the bolts had rusted away. The stub wall serves as the inside base for the rails. Exterior end of the rails are screwed to the top of the cutout in the side wall. Here's how I got the room out:. Remove interior frame. Open pull out all the way. Take out the screws holding the room to the rail ( accessed from the bottom, outside the RV.). Slide the room out until the top of the room clears teh exterior wall. Lift the room to unload the rails, and slide the rails back into the RV. Rotate the room down and out, pivoting around the outside edge of the wall. Lower the room to the ground.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Great! Good job! Hopefully, this will go back in more easily. Thanks for letting me know.