Ron, RV Mechanic
Experience:  32 years Master Tech ASE certified.

I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder (30 ft) built on a Chevy P30

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder (30 ft) built on a Chevy P30 Chasis. The lowbeam headlight (high and low beam in one bulb) on the drivers side (passanger side is fine) does not come on. I traded lamps around and put a voltage tester on the harness (3 wire system). There is indeed power on the highbeams, but none on the low beams. The wires are a jumbled mess although my examination shows no obvious faults. I suspect a headlight control module may be my problem, but I don't know where to find the module or even what it looks like. Can you help me track this issue and component down?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I'll check back tommorow. I'm hardly sending during normal business hours. I do have an e-mail at***@******.***
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I know of 3 places were fuses are stashed. I've checked everything but the battery control center, but remember I have all running and turn lights except the low beam on the drivers side. RVs are there own breed, but I've never seen a car with separate fuses for each high and low beam on the headlights. Passenger headlight - high and low beam work. Drivers side the high beam works.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Oh, I do not have a wiring diagram. My owners manual in fact says that wiring diagrams were not made.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Ron replied 28 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 28 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I have found you a wiring diagram for the headlamp circuit. Have a look at it in the link below and see if this is the one you need. If not poet back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I looked at the wiring diagram. I may be reading it wrong, but it appears to me to show both a light that has a high and low beam function as well as an altogether separate light that functions as a high beam only. My RV does not have a separate high beam light so I'm guessing the wiring diagram is not a perfect match. That said, my read of the diagram indicates the low beam tan wire goes first to the left light (which in my case works fine) and then goes on in series to the right (drivers side) headlight, which in my case does not work at all. If I can trust this diagram it appears to be telling me there is no module to find and that I have a bad wire connection between the left and right headlights. Would this be you conclusion also? Do you feel I can trust the wiring diagram despite indications of a not quite 100% match.
Expert:  Ron replied 26 days ago.

Okay then you have the single light system, take a look at the wiring diagram in the link below. If you do not have DPL (daytime running lamps ) there there is no module.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
While I do have clearance lights I don't have any lights that come on just because I start the engine so I'm guessing this one is a match, there is no module, and my problem has to be some disconnect in the low beam wire between the left and right headlight. Unless you can magically tell be where the disconnect is it looks like you've done all that you can. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 26 days ago.

Yes if you have DLR the low beams would be on all of the time when the key is on so this should be the diagram you need, Start with following the diagram and see if you have the low beam signal coming out of the switch to the lamp assembly.