gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

We have a 93 Toyota camper and did not realize it has a

Customer Question

We have a 93 Toyota camper and did not realize it has a shift lock on it. How do I release it.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I imagine it's in its original condition and no leaks
JA: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checking lights pressing all the bottoms on the wheels. Can not find any buttons that would indicate a shift release. But in the gear shift it says it has a shift lock and the Manuel does not show any release on it. Has been sitting now for a year
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I am getting really frustrated with it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

That should have a button on the side of the shift lever that pushes in so you can move the lever from the park position. Is that what you have or not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is a sticker on the gear shaft that says it has a gear lock but no button. Looked all over for a release but did not find one.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Let me talk to my mechanic friend who rebuilds these transmissions in the morning and see what he has to share. I am in California so it would be about 9:00 a.m. or so my time.