Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Smell gas but no ignition. Suspect low pressure, as less

Customer Question

Smell gas but no ignition . Suspect low pressure, as less than one third supply and I noticed I had to trip ignition to the water heater
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: I am speaking of propane
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2000 Coavhmen
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Already replaced mother board after texting know limit switch is weak cleaned sail
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Meant testing
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

Are you talking about the water heater or the furnace? Can you explain " I had to trip ignition to the water heater"

Need to be clear, which appliance, make and model, is it sparking etc.....

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Furnace
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Atwood 8904
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Blower goes but no ignition
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

SO the fan is coming on, you can hear it sparking and smell LP but it is not firing off?

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't hear sparking
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

Well that is going to be key if you smell gas but it is not sparking. The circuit board will send a signal to the gas valve and electrode at the same time, so if you do not hear it sparking and smell gas AND you replaced the circuit board I suspect the electrode is bad. IF it is sparking and you smell gas it very well could be a pressure problem, you would need a manometer to check the pressure. Most RV shops have them and is a 15 min check.

IF you do not smell gas then it could be low battery voltage as the fan needs to spin fast enough to close the sail switch, bad sail or limit switch.

Click HERE for a service manual, you can see the order of operation and it will provide you some troubleshooting... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.. Robert