Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a onan 7000 flashing code 32, Gen starts foe 2-3

Customer Question

I have a onan 7000 flashing code 32, Gen starts foe 2-3 seconds then shuts off. however, if i hold the start button down and dont release it the gen continues to run until i release the start button
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: tight and no corrosion
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2005 georgetown XL
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive check the oil level and condition, checked battey voltage at the lug, 12.3 volts, checked the tightness of the battery wires and condition of terminals
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

That can be caused by several things. What is the complete model number of your genset?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
7HGJAB900C
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I am at lunch right now and will be back at my shop in about an hour.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

See the attached manual link for your set. That fault code is for low cranking speed and usually is caused by batteries that are either failing or just not fully charged. You said you only have 12.3 VDC and fully charged you should read at least 12.8 VDC. So that, or some dirty connections that result in lower voltage may be an issue. The other one can be several things and related to the first. Sometimes, when the on/off switch on that board is failing you can have this happen. Correct the first one and see if the second problem remains and then get back to me. Print out the manual if you don't aleady have it. Let me know what happens and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee. https://coloradostandby.com/media/custom/upload/document_technical_983-0101.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Charged battery , now at 13.2 volts, installed a new start/Stop switch. Installed a new controller. Press start button and engine briefly starts but shuts off after 2-3 seconds, If I continue to hold the start button down the engine will stay running until I release the start button. Still flashing code 32.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I will opt out of this and let our Onan tech offer something. He stays very busy and has a day job so be patient.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was able to fix the generator on my own. Turns out the brush block was the cause. One of the brushes had broke causing an open between F1 and F2. Replaced the brush block and generator is back to normal operation.