Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a 2002 Itasca suncruiser, my rear slide this last

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Itasca suncruiser, my rear slide this last weekend was going out and a loud snap and thud type noise came from under neath. I stopped before it went all the way out and looked under the coachs slide. there was what looked like a lock nut and a spacer of some kind in the dead center of the mechanism. I didn't see anything abnormal so I continued to extend the slide. upon getting ready to leave I attempted to retract the slide and you could here the hydrolic ram being operated and after a few moments the slide started to come in. it stopped about 8 inches from being closed and made the noise from the hydrolics like usual when it was done. I went back out side and looked under neath and saw that lock nut assembly was now jambed against the stop for the slide and it was sticking out past the motorhomes exterior, not normal, so I had my wife operate it while I watched and saw what looked like a black aluminum block moving back and forth along with the lock nut assembly until it reached a spot back in place under the slide that would stop that block and then the slide would move out with no problems, so when I had my wife attempt to get the slide back in it worked all the way up to the point where the black block would start to come out and run into the slide which would stop it from going in all the way. I tried to hold the block into position but I could not stop the hydrolic motion. so after a few tries at this we had to get going so I pushed on the unit to try and get it in so that we could travel safely, at that time the end with the lock nut snapped off and fell on the ground but we did manage to get the slide almost all the way in for travel. I wrapped 3 tie straps around the whole motorhome and under the chasis so that incase this thing let loose I had a safety inplace. when I returned home I removed all of the bed frame to get to the mechanism to see if I could figure out what needed to be repaired but there was nothing I could see at that time. so after all this all I need is to figure out or get an illustrated instruction and parts list for what I need to do to repair this problem. I am a certified technician for over 36 years and am capable to repair just need a direction or some directions as to what it going to take to repair this. the local MH repair shops are buried and state that they can't look at it for months and I need this thing repaired but the end of October so I figured what the heck it's just nuts and bolts. this coach has only 30k miles on it and i'm always all over it making sure everything is in check. if you wouldn't mind guiding me I would greatly appreciate it.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Thanks!
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Dave
JA: What is the model of your '02 RV?
Customer: This is broken mechanical part, not electrical related!!!
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have you had a chance to read the whole issue above?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: everything verbatim is in the story line.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

I think you have a HWH system and they have a few different setups they have used over the years. IF you click HERE it will provide you a listing of service manuals for each series, click on the links and you can have a better look to see which one is yours, the service manual should also break down all the parts involved. You will see one listing of manuals with HWH leveling and without... IF you want to take a look and get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can....

IF this is NOT HWH please let me know.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.. Robert