Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Atwood water heater. The burner ignites but flames come out

Customer Question

Atwood water heater. The burner ignites but flames come out of the vented portion of the burner tube. I have blowen out the burner tube and housing with air but problem continues.
JA: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?
Customer: No.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2013 Thor
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Used air to blow the unit out. Replaced inline fuse that was burned and also wire that was melted along side of inline fuse.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

A few things, first the LP pressure it should be checked, most RV shops have a manometer and can check the pressure at the back of the water heater. IT is a 15 min check in the shop. Next I would try and adjust the air shutter, the burner tube has an adjustable air shutter on it at the end where it goes over the orifice. Position the air shutter so that it is 1/4 of the way open, you can go all the way on each side to see if it helps any, normally there is a little 1/4 screw you have to remove and then you can move the shutter. You should have blue flame with small traces of yellow in the flame. If the flame is fairly quiet then it is adjusted correctly.

Remove the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol if that was gummed up it might cause problems. I would also blow the intake and exhaust out really good, make sure you have safety glasses on, want to make sure nothing got inside the water heater, sometimes wasps, mud daubers can get inside and you can see this type of problem if it is blocked off inside.....

Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, please let me know if you have more questions or concerns...

Robert