Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its a xantrexpro 1000
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

How many batteries and what voltages do you have here for serving this inverter? Make and model of the fridge? If the fridge isn't on, it might be due to the battery(s) being too low as the fridge in most cases needs 12 VDC to operate the control boards. Get back to me with this and I can assist you further here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I am adding a link to the Xantrex manual for this model. See section 4-6 for the explanation of an "E-5" error, which is from the unit being overloaded. It doesn't take too much to use up 1000 watts. If the battery(s) are low it won't help either. 1000 watts of draw will use up power quickly. Perhaps some re-working this system here would help some. Let me know about my earlier questions and I can help you sort this out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have read the manual a couple times. The RV says the batteries are fully charged, everything works when the RV is connected to shore power and generator. When I disconnect everything works but the TV and Fridge which are supposed to run through the inverter. I have two big golf cart style batteries, and i domt really know anything about voltages and the fridge is full size refer. Its a new RV. It toggles between error 5 and error 2.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

You might want to have the batteries load tested to be sure that they are viable and not failing. Even new batteries have a fairly high failure rate. If the fridge is an RV model then the most watts it should draw is about 500 and the tv usually about 200. The fact that everything works well when on shore cord speaks to the batteries not holding a charge or delivering the stated amps. If you remove them for load testing, but sure and take a photo of the cables so you get them back the same way as it is easy to get this wrong if you don't. Be sure that you keep them full of water as well. Let me know what happens and we can go further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Randall, I pulled the batteries, took them to Oreilys and they were in fact bad according to the load tester. Came back installed new batterries and error 5 continues to come up and refer will not come on.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wanted to send a video but appears to bechallenging
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Did you try to reset the inverter after you replaced the batteries? Try that and be sure that there isn't any other load on there that may be overloading it. Another possible problem is that the inverter is damaged. If it won't reset and you know the loads are less than 1000 watts, then that is a good possibility.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Just checking back it to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?