Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a 2006 phaeton mh the diesel generator cut off after

Customer Question

I have a 2006 phaeton mh the diesel generator cut off after 5 or 10 minites. it will start right back up. but the cutting happenes again
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 10 yrs old I have it serviced reg. but the motorhome hasn't been used in almost a year
JA: Are you fixing your Phaeton yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i don't have enough knowledge to work on it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Make sure you have more then 1/4 tank of fuel in the main tank or the generator might cut out. IF the unit was not used in almost a year I would also replace the fuel filter on the generator. IT could also be an issue with the fuel supply line to the generator, sometimes the rubber tubing can become brittle and cracked, and when that happens the generator would suck air, it would run for a bit and then shut down. I would have a RV shop take a look at this, I suspect they would be able to find the problem pretty quickly..... In the future you want to try and start the generator monthly and let it run with an AC on so it has a load on it. This gets the fuel circulating and should prevent any kinds of issues with the fuel system.... Hope this helps some... Robert