Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My 2009 Aerolite Cub 185 has a leak inside the pop up end

Customer Question

My 2009 Aerolite Cub 185 has a leak inside the pop up end when it's placed in the upright position and stored away. The plywood inside is warped at the ends because of it. How do we repair the "outside" and "inside"?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Can you attach a photo of the areas in question to your post using the paperclip icon. I do a lot of these repairs in my own shop, but each one is not exactly the same as the next and I would like to "see what you see" if possible before suggesting some repair techniques.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, I don't see the paperclip icon. I'll attach to the "add files" that I see below. It's hard to tell from the side picture, but it's warped from the rain that has got inside through the weather-stripping, I'm guessing. Inside the plywood is rotting due to the leak.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Good job on those photos! The best way to repair this is to remove that foldup end and take it apart and replace the old wood with new and you might be able to "press" out the fiberglass so it can be re-used again, but if not, you can replace it with new phylon or even some starbrite aluminum. Then you put the trim back on and replace it on the RV. We do quite a few like this in my own shop and this is how we repair these. If you need more please get back to me and I will make a phone option available for you as that might come in handy so you can discuss this with me over the course of the repairs.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional information from me here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are going to try and do this, on the upcoming weekend, weather permitting. If we need have to replace it, you said use starbrite aluminum, etc., and where would we get this material? Also, taking off the whole fold out seems quite extensive. Do you feel my husband can do this ourselves? We've never done something like this, so if you can reply back with some 1-2-3 steps would be helpful. I worry about how to put the thermarest canvas material back on as well. If you have some steps for that also would be very helpful. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

You can buy the starbrite material through most RV shops and it comes in 4 x 8 ft sheets. You can buy fiberglass phylon as well if you want to use that. This is not a real easy repair and if you aren't use to working with tools and such you might want to enlist the help of a good mobile tech or handyman. It will take more than one pair of hands. Hard to give you all the steps in this format as to how to do this.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or not? If you still need some additional input from me please let me know. Thanks!