Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Just like the forum I was trying to read (this pop up is

Customer Question

Just like the forum I was trying to read (this pop up is blocking it on my phone), I have a generac generator on my 2005 gulf stream m6316 and the generator runs fine for 15 minutes. Then it shuts down. When it cols it starts back up. I changed the oil filter but that didn't solve the problem.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: ? No noise. I'm confused
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Your question about noise. My issue is a generator issue.
JA: What is the model of your '05 RV?
Customer: 2005 gulf stream limited edition m6316
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix it because I don't know who to take it to and we are on the road.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only thing I have tried is changing the filter.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok...let's go
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Things that can cause this are low oil, a bad fuel filter that needs changing, a fuel pump that is failing and air flow though the generator that may be partially blocked. Start with the easy ones and then if those prove negative, I would change out the fuel pump. Some can run up to 20 minutes and then shut down and do this repeatedly. Not expensive and if you are handy with tools, not impossible to do yourself. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more and please include the model number of your generator and whether or not you have the User's Manual for it. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just find the owners manual
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Found
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not low oil and I just changed the filter. Hand Triple checked the oil level.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

There should be a section in there for trouble shooting. Follow those steps and those I mentioned. Let me know the outcome and model number.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

l have to leave for a few hours and will check back in later this afternoon............

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Model number is ***** Quietpact 40G. It's a Guardian by Generac Poker Systems.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Power....autocorrect is horrible today
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I am adding a link to the Diagnostic Service Manual for this model. Print out a copy so you have it. See the trouble shooting sections and do those you can. Then get back to me if we need to go further and you need some help. http://www.generator-parts.com/manuals/generac-rv/0E1881.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we completely changed the oil (I had not done that) and checked the air filter. Thank you for the pdf download. I read the troubleshooting guide but have no idea how to follow through with checking switch. I have read the section on this. I have tried on my own.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I don't think it is in the switch............go to the part about the fuel pump. I think if it isn't overheating due to restricted air flow, then that is the issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll try it tomorrow. Will you be available if we try that and it's not working?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I will be around all day tomorrow off and on........

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For instance is this the right place to be asking how to do this?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Not sure what you mean by that? One reason to give you the Repair Manual is to save time on what and to do the testing. It does take some time and at least a decent VOM meter to do this. The fuel pump really can't be tested when it is failing over a longer period of time. We try to rule out any other thing first. You can run it until it quits and then immediately disconnect the fuel line and try to re-start it and see if it pumps good fuel or not. Not conclusive in all cases though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well...I'm at an RV park with very few tools (what I bought at auto zone yesterday)...far from home. I guess I could ask auto zone tomorrow for that vom meter but need to Google it to even know what it is.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I usually don't do any work on my vehicles because shops are faster and far more knowledgeable. I thought I would try and troubleshoot this because it's the weekend and could be simple but I really know so little.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know how to disconnect the fuel line....like you suggested. I'm trying to find in the manual even where the fuel filter is.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Generators are not that easy to work on........but, you should be able to see the fuel line and filter coming to the carb. That should show in the manual and I will look in the morning and maybe I can direct you further. I have been gone all day and just got home and I am ready to hit the hay.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok...
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

10-4

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Since I didn't hear back from you I am thinking you were able to resolve this issue, but if not, please get back to me. I will offer you a phone chat option as well as that may help and some of our customers prefer this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We found a generator repair specialist to help with the switch issue. He also found some foam had gotten lodged in the air intake. I sure wish I had known to check that. The issue is solved.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

The foam thing would be really rare! In fact, first time I have heard of that in some years. Glad you got it sorted out!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He said it wasn't unusual because the undercarriage of the motorhome is sprayed with it.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I've been on this site for 7 years and it is only the 2nd time I have heard of it and in my own shop I have only seen it once and it came from the genset sound proofing. Spraying the underside of a motorhome with foam in not commonly done. Glad it worked out though!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Probably just common on this silly model of motorhome. I'm just glad it wasn't a major issue.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Roger that!