Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I'm having trouble with keeping my dometic fridge running on

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with keeping my dometic fridge running on gas. I cleaned it and it starts up great, runs for a coulpe of minutes then turns itself off with a clicking noise in the burner area, like a safety turn off. Any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What is the model number of the Dometic??

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
rm 3663
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Yes sorry it takes a few mins to respond. I have to pull a service manual and look at the set up you have for the burner. I will respond shortly.

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
actually, sat phone not working, need to type
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

OK

First thing I would do is check the DC voltage going into the fridge, the reason being is if the DC voltage was dropping off then the fridge might still try to fire off but not enough voltage for it to work. IF the voltage is good and it is sparking (the electrode) I suspect you have a bad thermo-couple, it will sense the presence of the flame and will send a signal to the circuit board, if the board does not sense the flame it will shut down.

The other issue could be the LP pressure if you have spark, the LP pressure can be checked with a manometer and most RV shops have that to check the line pressure, I understand all the other items might work but the pressure should be verified. IF you have a volt meter you can do some checks, Click HERE for a service manual on this... When you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination if the flame is actually going and it is shutting down I suspect the thermo-couple but look at the manual, make sure the electrode is adjusted and you have good DC voltage going into the fridge.....

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I figured thermocouple, but it is sitting nicely in the flame.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all other appliances working fine
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

it does not matter if it is bad, it can still cause the flame to go out, I think the key is that it does run for a couple mins, if it is running and then shutting down it has to be the thermocouple, circuit board issue but the pressure and voltage should be verified, I would try and do some checks in the service manual I sent you, it will help narrow it down. Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.....

Robert