Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a 1999 Dometic RN 3862 refrigerator. It has no lights

Customer Question

Good morning!
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a 1999 Dometic RN 3862 refrigerator. It has no lights on the control board and I see no power at the back of the board. It came on normally yesterday and then went off overnight. I have power, both DC and AC at the cooling unit
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent, no lights at all. Thinking there may be a fuse somewhere on the unit I haven't found yet?
JA: What is the model of your '99 RV?
Customer: Southwind. 35'
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to repair myself. I am an electronics tech and ASE mechanic but don't have much appliance experience. SO far I checked fuses, power at the back of the unit bit at the plug and on the board. Veried power is present. Then I took of the control panel and check for power but found nothing at all on either the control board or the climate control switch. I am not sure wher that power comes from.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should do it, unit was working fine before Sunday, turned it on and it cooled normally. Went out yesterday morning and the unit has no lights on the controp panel at all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

When you say you saw no power at the control panel..........this is the one in front? Did you pull the plug out and test it or just didn't see the lights come on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see no power on the upper control panel in front. I checked the plug and the back of the board. I also have no power on the climate control switch.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I am attaching a link to the Dometic Serivce Manual which covers this model. See the section on testing the upper (front) control board. You might want to pull the plug out for that on the rear which is the one in the top upper left hand corner and push it back in again. Sometimes moisture or dust can affect the contacts. I am sure you have a meter and know how to use it so I won't go into that here. Let me know what you find and do a test for AC ripple and see if that is a factor. Some older converters have this problem and it plays havoc on control boards.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

.5 VAC is acceptable, but more than that will be an issue. If you are not familiar with this testing let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looks like I have a bit of work to do! I will go out and check the items you suggested and see if there is a problem that slaps me in the face. Thanks for the starting point, I don't have much experience with RV appliances but it looks like I will gain some now.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

You are most welcome! Let me know what you find and we can go from there. I will be in and out all day and watch for your post.