gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

2003 Journey: 12 v wire to refrigator is bad. I get a 12v

Customer Question

2003 Journey: 12 v wire to refrigator is bad. I get a 12v reading until I connect to the fridge power board then 24vac. I verified by connecting 12v from battery directly to power board. Fridge works. I connected the same 12v directly to original wire at the
12v breaker. Fridge does not work. Suspect high resistance
Break or corroded connection but can't find a connector. Any ideas of a fix? Running a new wire to the breaker seems I'm
Seems obvious but looks impossible.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Where are you getting that 24 VDC reading? And which breaker are you referring to here?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's 24v ac and it's at the refrigator 12v power connection but only
After I connect the 12v lead. I think that's a red herring. The fridge works fine when I connect it directly to battery using a jumper wire
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The breaker is the 12v one that provides the 12v power to the refrigator. In my RV its above the microwave across the galley
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
From the fridge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was an electronic r
Tech in my younger days. Bad connections and bad grounds cause all kinds of weird symptoms and readings
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
While I was waiting I removed some cabinets and figured out a way to run a new wire. Please stop looking for a fix . I no longer need help.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.........I had to go to the local RV park on a Service Call. Hope that gets you going, but if you need more later, please get back to me. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The new wire fixed the problem. I presume the original one is broken somewhere, most likely where it bends as the slide goes in and out.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

That may true.....it happens there quite often.