Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Can't get our old prowler to raise up so we can tow it for

Customer Question

can't get our old prowler to raise up so we can tow it for my dad, it has been sitting for 3 years and now chain isn't cranking it up, but of course have no manual for it not even sure how old it is, maybe 25 years old?
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: fuel supply to jack it up?
JA: What year is your Prowler?
Customer: probably early 90's, not sure how to find out its age
JA: Are you fixing your Prowler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: he is cranking to screw on the right side of prowler with socket and turning it clockwise, chain is turning but it doesn't raise
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Is this a Popup trailer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no it is a 5th wheeler, trying to raise front up so it will go on a gooseneck for towing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think maybe my dad is missing a step because the chain moves, but it won't crank, I am suspecting there is a safety lever of some sort that needs activated, but not sure, it is an old prowler, probably 25 years old
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I am not aware of any chain that has to do with the leveling legs. These are gear driven. And there are no "safety levers" on these. If the gears and pins are intact the leveling legs should move. They are slow and the movement may be almost not noticeable. It takes a lot of cranking to move this up and down.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when you say pins, where are the pins located? are they removable, ie could they have fallen out? we see the gears moving, but the trailer never raises
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

It may help if you can attach a photo of the area in question so I can see what part he may me talking about here. Use the paperclip Icon. All follow ups are included in our fee. The pins are those that hold the gears to the shaft. If those shear, then the gears just spin on the shaft and nothing happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
gotcha, let me take pics, be back soon
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks but it got worse, the guys working on it broke the lifting bar, we need to order all new parts, but thanks for checking in.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for letting me know..........get back to me if you need more later and thanks for bringing your question to Just Answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

FYI.........Stromberg-Carlson make a complete replacement system for about $575 or you can upgrade to Bulldog individual motor units that are heavy duty for about $800.