Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My RV won't run on shore power. 2015 1685, 1685, I had a 30

Customer Question

My RV won't run on shore power.
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2015 lance 1685
JA: What is the model of your '15 RV?
Customer: 1685
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had a 30 amp outlet installed by an electrician this week. When I brought the RV home, I plugged it in (with the main breaker off on the house), then flipped the breaker. The AC and other items (fridge, etc) were already turned on at the time. The RV powered up for a second or two and then seemed to flip over to battery power. The compressor on the AC won't kick on after it attempts to. When I disconnect the battery power, the only thing that works on Shore Power seems to be a microwave getting power from its own breaker on the RV
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

This could be a few things.... IF you do not have a generator installed the AC power will go right to the breaker panel inside. GO around and make sure NO GFI'S are tripped these would be certain outlets with a test and reset on them, normally they are in the bathroom and or galley but have seen them on the outside as well. I would also shut all the breakers OFF, unplug from power, plug back in and turn the breakers on one at a time. Beyond that it might be the 30 amp outlet might not be wired correctly. Sometimes this can happen where the outlet gets 220 instead 110, 30 amp should be 1 hot leg coming in for 110, if they tied the hots together at the box it could be 220 and that is damaging to the RV. Click HERE and that is how it should be wired up, might need the electrician to come back and verify his work. IF the outlet for the fridge has power but it is not working on AC please let me know....

Hope this helps... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert