gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

My generator is running put no power to trailer.

Customer Question

my generator is running put no power to trailer.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

What is the generator and the make and model of the trailer? 30 amp shore cord? Adapter on the generator? And do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing as that would be the fastest way to track this down?

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just wondering if you were able to resolve this issue since I didn't hear back from you? If not, please let me know and we can sort this out. I will also offer a phone chat option for you in case you feel that would be more helpful here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had to work until 230am.
Cummins Onan Rv QG 5500 Lp
2014 Keystone
Alpine model
Shore cord?
Adapter?
Yes multimeter
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Did you check to be sure that the breakers on the generator weren't tripped? The "shore cord" is the line to your power source. And was wondering if you were using any adapter to the generator or is this an OEM installation? IF so, do you have an automatic transfer switch or do you have to plug your shore cord into a J-Box to get the genset to power the coach?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I switched all the breakers off and back on. It's OEM. I would assume automatic transfer.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

If you have a meter we can do some testing to see if the problem is over on the generator side or the transfer switch. That is usually a silver or black box about 10" square at the end of the shore cord. Both that and the generator line come into that and one line comes out going to the load center in the RV.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found a silver junction box right above the genset
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Does the shore cord come into that or not?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Take the lid off and you can use your meter to find out if the generator is putting good voltage (about 120 VAC) to the hot legs. If so, then see if you have that coming OUT of the transfer switch to the coach. Use the red probe on the positive leg(s) which are red and black and the black lead on the neutral leg (white wire) and this should give you a direction.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That was just a junction box, I'll need to have somebody come look at it. Plus I installed a new antenna up and still no channels. I quit!
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

O.K...........maybe check and see who does good mobile work in your area and come out and assist you. Most local RV parks can recommend someone. Let me know if you need more.