Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I am on the road in my 2007 Holiday Rambler Admiral. I need

Customer Question

I am on the road in my 2007 Holiday Rambler Admiral. I need to move out of my campsite in the morning but the problem is: The jacks are down and won't retract, the slide won't come in And the awning won't work. I am pretty sure they are all related. I have checked all the fuses that I can find. Help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I suspect one of two things. Either the battery disconnect solenoid switch got hit and the batteries are "out of the loop" and not providing power OR they are failing and need replacing, especially if they are over 3 years old. It might be just a case of dirt and corrosion on the cables as well. Start there and then we can move into some testing if that all checks out. I think you might want to check with one of the local parks and see who they recommend for mobile tech work. A good one would be able to come and load test the batteries and check the cables for you. Taking them out and into town to be tested may not be practical where you are. This shouldn't take long and if you do need new batteries, I would go with Interstate HD batteries. I have been selling them in my shop for over 3 years now and have not had to warranty a single unit thus far! The two places you don't want to scrimp are on batteries and tires. Hope this proves to be helpful and please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this issue as all follow up exchanges are included and expected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I check this myself? I have no idea where to start, but I am game.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

IF you still have some 12 VDC power inside the for operating the fridge, then the battery disconnect switch is probably in the correct position. IF you have a small digital multimeter or can borrow one you can check at least the surface voltage on the batteries. You can do a visual inspection of the battery cables and see if they look clean or if a lot of corrosion is present. Attach a photo of them to your post if you want using the paperclip icon. If they are over 3 years old, there is a good chance they are failing. Most RV batteries will only last about 3 years. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you talking about the RV in the engine area or the batteries for the house?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

This sort of thing is usually quicker and easier to do in a phone chat, but there is a small upcharge for that service. You still might want to check the local area for a good mobile tech for some help here. This won't take long to sort out with one who knows what to look for. I suppose it depends somewhat on how fast you need to get moved. This is a problem on the house battery side.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everything in the house is working fine. So far, the only things not working are the awning, jacks and slide.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Those need a lot more power as they all have motors and batteries and cables are highly suspect.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

You may have tripped a shortstop breaker or high amperage breaker to the motor that works this system.......especially, if this has an HWH system where the room slides and jacks work on the same pump and motor. It might be a bad relay in that area and if you have a meter this can be tested.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I looked at the batteries in the storage area. They looked good. I saw a 10amp volt that looked blown. I replaced it. I reset the batteries and now the awning is working. But not the slide of the jacks.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The batteries were replaced in 2014. I've been on a trip for a week and I haven't added water to them.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Low voltage results in high amperage and that blows fuses. Whose system do yo have on the slides and jacks? Many of those were HWH systems and the name and version is on the touchpad most of the time. Get back to me with that information and I should be able to grab a manual for you and direct you further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just spoke with an RV mobile repair guy (he can't come over!). But he seems to believe I need to check the fuse that I can't find in the coach. Its a Holiday Rambler. I am on hold with Monaco, hoping to find where the fuse box in the curb side of the coach is located.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

O.K......if that doesn't work right away, let me know whose system you have and I can get a manual and direct you futher. I don't think this is fuse, but more a high amp breaker or shortstop breaker issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Monaco thinks its a breaker. I can't find it though. I am looking everywhere
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they said its a little black box, coming off the RV battery with yellow writing on it. I have climbed all over and under. Any ideas?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Most of those are in a roadside bay where the other electronics are OR under the hood. Some are next to the batteries. Not that I know of with that description UNLESS it is in the compartment with the other electronics. Your manual should show this and the related breakers and fuses for this.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Just wondering if you were able to resolve this issue since I didn't hear back from you? Thanks for bringing your question to Just Answer!