Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

We have a three way domestic fridge model RM4605RBX in a

Customer Question

We have a three way domestic fridge model RM4605RBX in a four year old caravan. The problem is with the 12 volt function when we are travelling - the 12 v function light does not illuminate when connected to our Landcruiser. I cannot tell whether the fridge is working on 12 v as the weather has been coolish and the freezer does not seem to defrost at all after 8 - 10 hours travelling. The lc is wired directly to the fridge and when the vehicle is not running there is no charge to the fridge. I hope you can make sense of what is happening - your thoughts would be appreciated.
Stirling Meredith
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a small digital multimeter so we can actually take a DC voltage reading at the rear of the fridge while it is running? That would be the fastest way to track this down.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do - the fridge is currently running on 240v
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

We need to test it when you are running the vehicle and have it on 12 VDC mode. Can you get to the rear of the fridge easily to the wiring?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll have a look now.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I am attaching a link to the User's Manual for this model. See the back diagrams and it shows where that lug is for the vehicle 12 VDC hookup. Just to the lower right of the control board. That would be where you would check it. IF you have power there when the engine is running, then the next thing would be to check the internal fuses and leads to the 12 VDC element and see if there is 12 VDC to the element. IF not, then the board may be suspect. If there is then you need to see if that keeps the temps cold as you travel.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot gain access to the back of the fridge
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

No outside inspection panel? There should be one as that allows the proper ventilation to go into that area and up through the coils for cooling. Did you look at that part of the manual?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Since I didn't hear back from you I am wondering if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?