Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

My rv is making a clicking sound coming from the engine

Customer Question

my rv is making a clicking sound coming from the engine compartment right behind the fuse box
JA: Have you double-checked the battery? And are the wiring connections to and from the starter in good shape?
Customer: the rv has been setting for awhile so the battery was dead. I recharged and run the engine for awhile and it just started fine
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2014 thor challenger it only has about 2000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just noticed it tonite when I was working outside near it I hope to fix myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when dry dock the battery don't seem to last long less than an hour
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

IF you had low voltage then it could be a solenoid or relay that is clicking, sometimes they will be in the fuse box or in back of the fuse box, what I would do is have all your batteries load tested to make sure they are good, most auto parts stores will load test them for free. IF the batteries keep running down you might have a draw on the system and you would need to find the draw OR install a manual disconnect switch at the battery, installing a manual disconnect switch at the battery would prevent it from running down, most RV stores have them and they are easy to install. IF you would like me to explain on how to check for a draw on the battery please let me know. I have a feeling the clicking noise could be related to low voltage.... Robert