Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

We are hooked to 50amp service and our lights are dim and

Customer Question

We are hooked to 50amp service and our lights are dim and flicking. Any suggestions?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the RV Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2012 Fleetwood Bounder Classic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We checked fuses, and CB everything else is working fine
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

IF you start the generator does everything work normally? IF you need to start it, unplug the 50 amp cord...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No their is a thunderstorm now
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

What you want to try and do is isolate the problem, if it does NOT happen on generator power then the power supply source could be the issue, loose connection in the transfer switch. IF you have the same problem with the generator running it could be a power converter issue, it takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, could be a loose connection at the battery, at the converter or a bad converter. The batteries also need to be in good condition or the converter will try and over charge them and then it will pull more amps and might cause a problem.... IF you want to see if the issue goes away running the generator and get back to me that would be fine, I am around daily and respond when I can... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...