Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2003 Four Winds Chateau Class C motor home.On a

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Four Winds Chateau Class C motor home.On a trip on the weekend we lost 12v power .Is there a reset button ? We have changed the battery ,and checked all the fuses we can find...but still don't have power.where do we start?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Did you remember to hit the battery disconnect solenoid switch again after you had the batteries replaced? Usually near the entry door on the wall or on the end of the overhead or in an overhead. Usually made by Intellitec and most say "use" and "store" or at least have a red light next to the switch. Some just say "battery" on them. When you hit this switch (rocker style) you should hear a distinct "click" on the solenoid. Try that and get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this. A small digital multimeter is very helpful here for testing. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we did hit the switch after replacing the battery..there was no click...I removed the switch and tested it ..and there was power to one prong,but it does not turn on.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a small meter or 12 VDC test light? And are your house batteries under the entry step?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the batteries are on the opposite side from the entry step,They are under the sink, and yes,I was using a test light.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

You should actually have a small digital meter for testing as this gives us the actual voltage. Can you attach a photo to your post of the actual battery cable hookup? I might be able to spot a problem there. Easy to get this wrong.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not sure how to do that,.do I email or text message the picture?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Attach it to your post using the paperclip icon..........

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have sent two pictures ,please let me know if you received them
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Nothing yet..........did you use the paperclip icon? Are these 6 VDC or 12 VDC batteries?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They are 12 volt batteries
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Did you hook them up in parallel? And then the positive feed(s) off one of the positives and the negative feed(s) to the other battery on the negative terminal? See the attached photo diagram. One of the most common mistakes is getting one of the positive cables hooked up to the negative side. It won't hurt anything, but it gives you no power.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

That last link showed this better..........

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

If you have a meter you can take a DC volts reading at the terminals where the cables go into the coach and see what the voltage is. It should read about 12.8 VDC.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They were hooked up in the spring...we have been out many times this year ,and everything was fine ,until this weekend when we started losing 12 v power.We came home..checked and tightened all connections ...discovered that 1 cell in each battery was low, so replaced 1 battery...still no power..except on /off switch has power to one line,nothing changes when that switch is turned off or on.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Without a meter we aren't going to get far...........no way to tell what is happening.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is now raining and getting dark outside...I will have to continue this tomorrow in the daylight..how does that work ?am I able to contact again,or will I be charged again?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Bookmark this and you can come right back to this posting sequence. Try to come up with a meter first. I will be around all day.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you..will contact again tomorrow
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

10-4

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have just used the volt meter on the lines ..they all read 12.99
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

At the batteries? IF so, then go to the disconnect solenoid and check both sides. Are you plugged into shore power or not?

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Can you give me the part number of the old thermostat and ceiling control? I am getting that you are trying to hook up a new Single Zone thermostat here?

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Ignore that last post!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We are not connected to shore power...We checked both sides of the battery disconnect switch..is that the solenoid you meant? There was no power at all this check
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Then there must be a cable issue.......you should have about the same DC voltage reading as you have at the batteries. One of those red positive cables goes to the disconnect solenoid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do they have a reset button? The cables are in cased in tubes when they leave the battery .we took the readings at the battery posts. There are 4 cables at the disconnect switch...none are showing power now
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

No..........and if I had a photo of this and the batteries I might be able to spot something.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will try again ."I have sent 2 pictures
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

O.K...........are there any shortstop breakers on the rear of that copper plate? I am attaching a photo of one to this post. https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M60cddf5db924d363dd03f6ba05cd33d0o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No there aren't...
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a battery control center anywhere near those disconnect solenoids?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not that we have been able to find...we have owned this unit for 3 years, and haven't had any issues so far...have done a lot of looking today!
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Somewhere there, you are going to find some of those shortstop breakers. Try to follow where some of those lead off the batteries go. And can you let me see the rest of those cables on the batteries?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is 1 shortstop breaker on one cable... There was power thru it when I checked earlier today
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

There has to be something between the batteries and the disconnect solenoid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is exactly why we initiated this conversation...we had tried all your suggestions before we called...we thought we were missing something.we had our old motor home for 30 years, so knew it inside out...this one ..not so much
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

I think it is time to call in a good mobile tech. He (or she) should be able to track this down in a few minutes. Hard to do in this format. I will go ahead and opt out of the question in case anothere tech here has some information and new input.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for trying....we will continue to search here...
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

You are welcome...........and what did you mean when you said they "were under the sink" as I have never seen any there. Has someone added batteries to this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, that is where the battery compartment is....on the outside passenger side wall, but almost directly under where the sink is inside.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Is there a tray you pull out with the batteries in it? IF so, any shortstop breaker back in that cavity attached to the frame or subframe?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Apparently the original owner added a second battery, so the tray no longer pulls out...the dealership added the second battery
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

O.K.........but, you can crawl under there and look for where those wires go and see if they have one or more mounted back there. Fairly common practice.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
For sure we will crawl under tomorrow...it's too wet and dark now...could it be a malfunctioning shortstop breaker..your thinking?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Almost positive........happens all the time. And someone has been messing with this as that isn't a factory installation.

Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Yes, it is very likely that...........did it ever quit raining?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We pulled all the breakers out of the fuse box...found a dud..replaced it ,and it is working fine now.
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

I knew it had to be something like that........good job! When you said you checked all the fuses in your question, I didn't want to ask you to re-check them. Be safe.......