Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

We have an 1999 airstream cutter we recently came home in it

Customer Question

We have an 1999 airstream cutter we recently came home in it but when I turned everything off plugged into city power came back in it will not convert over to city power it doesn't have the float charge light on. I can get the generator to run it doesn't say float charge now either. And now none of my outlet work and my oven hood won't turn on any ideas checked all of the fuses and breakers in the box under the foot of our bed
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

SO when you run the generator OR you are plugged into shore power are you missing ALL the AC power, that would be microwave, outlets, TV?? Do you have a power converter OR inverter, what is the make and model of that?

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

IT is really important to know if you are missing the AC power, without the AC power the power converter or inverter is not going to charge the batteries....

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
None of the appliances work bathroom outlets not working inverter is a trace invertor the light is blinking green
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've never seen it without the bulk or float charge light lit when we have the generator going. Usually as soon as we plug it in to city power we have a 50 amp it goes right to float charge volts at 13.5 runs everything but now the on off button is flashing green fast and it has been at 12.5 volts all night with the generator on all we are running is the back AV refrigerator is on propane right now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Back ac sorry
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

SO the incoming AC power will go through a transfer switch to the breaker panel and inverter. The first thing to do is go to the generator make sure you do not have a breaker tripped, go around and also make sure you do not have a GFI that is tripped, normally they are in the bathroom and or galley but can be located just about anywhere else including the outside. Next what I might try is shut all the breakers OFF, unplug from power, turn the inverter off wait about 10 mins, plug back in and then turn the breakers back ON and the inverter, make sure the inverter also does not have a tripped breaker, most will have two breakers on them, they will be a small switch OR round button.

After that you will have to find the transfer switch and see if AC power is going in and out of the switch when you are plugged into power. IF you have AC voltage going into the TS and nothing coming out it has failed. I assume you have a 50 amp service so you should have two hot legs of 110 coming into the TS, from there some power will go to the inverter and the breaker panel so you would need to check for incoming voltage.

Sorry I just got your response. IF you go to the battery and have 12.5 volts you should have DC power inside, if that is the case let me know ASAP.....

This might take some going back and forth.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me text you when my husband gets up I'm not able to lift anything because of my disabilities but I will get back to you soon thank you
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Yes, you can just respond to this if needed. I will be in and out this AM but will respond when I can... Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you I will do that
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Also if you can give me the model of the trace inverter it may help should be a sticker on the inverter with that info..... After reading your post again it seems like you do have some power, is all the DC power working?? That would be lights, water pump, furnance, water heater on LP and fridge on LP....

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've flipped all breakers back on with city power connected still no power to tv microwave or outlets there is one gfi outlet we can't reset could that be it? Also just connected to city power no generator only the back ac works turn on generator both work
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

DO you have the DC power working??? Lights, water pump furnace etc??

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just the over head lights nothing in kitchen area hood or over the sink no tv not a single outlet works I now have the generator going and hooked up to city power is this bad?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

Then excuse me, I thought from the start you had no DC power....

IF the GFI will not reset that normally means it has no power going to it or it is faulty. GO around and make sure you do not have another GFI that is tripped, they can be about anywhere including the outside so you need to check high and low and look outside. IF you have a 50 amp service it is also possible you are missing one leg of 110 volt, you will have two 110 legs coming into the transfer switch so you would need to verify if you have both hot legs in and out of the TS. IF not then you have a bad TS. IF you have AC power on both legs in and out of the TS then the problem has to be at the breaker panel or inverter. I think on this one you might need a shop or mobile service to come and see where the AC power has gone missing, they should be able to tell pretty fast. Before doing that go around and make sure you are not missing another GFI, make sure the generator breakers are not tripped and the breakers on the inverter, this may not be a simple fix.

IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating at the top of the page... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi..... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert