Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We were away for a week and the park were our RV was parked

Customer Question

We were away for a week and the park were our RV was parked lost power. IT was out a couple of day and then came back. When we got back there is no power in our RV at all, everything id dark. Ran engine but it didn't charge either. Generator clicks but won't turnover. 2015 allegro open road? Am I missing something?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It has been dead since we returned, acts like its not plugged into anything. We check the power station and its getting power
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I mostly checked our internal breakers. checked to see if anything was happening with the inverter, its set to auto
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Everything was fine till power went out, now nothing works, wondering if I am missing a breaker or a switch I can throw
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Start by having the batteries load tested to be sure they are still good. Most of the appliances are controlled by 12 VDC power. Also get a small digital multimeter and we can check the charging system to be sure it is working. Make and model of your inverter would help and make and model of your RV so I know what we are working with here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its an Allegro Open Road, 2015. Its not like the batteries are not charging, Nothing is happening, even when plugged in to power. Its totally dead, plugged in or not
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No lights, no appliances, no fans, dark and quiet
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Did you check the battery disconnect solenoid switches to see if the batteries are even in the loop? You will need a small digital multimeter for some testing here so we can find out where the problem is. About $20 or so if you don't have one and easy to use.

Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Just checking back to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe it is my surge guard 41260. Its hardwired into coach with no reset, generator powers up batteries fine now and they stay charged. Really doesn't seem like it can be anything else
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

It might be, but it can be the automatic transfer switch as well. Testing would be able to tell you that in a few minutes with a meter.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well if I plugged the coach in to power the microwave gets a direct feed, or so I was told, so that should light up if the surge was OK. How would I test the auto transfer switch?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

By taking the cover off and using a meter to test the input and output of each side. The microwave gets power from the same source as the rest of the unit.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Since I didn't hear back from you I am wondering if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?