Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow with 460 Ford EFI engine.

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow with 460 Ford EFI engine. It's been sitting for 8 years (I bought it a couple of weeks ago.)
I replaced the fuel pump got a new battery (not house batteries - but for running gear. I've gotten it to start a couple times but the battery went stone dead overnight. Now it won't crank at all. The starter solenoid clicks (even after replacing it with a new one and replacing the starter.) I noticed that the hot cable from the battery goes to one of the house solenoids and then from there to the starter solenoid. Maybe that's where the trouble is? Also, I haven't yet bought new house batteries. Could corrosion have shorted one or both of those batteries and that may be the problem? My headlights stopped working as well at the same time that the no-start situation became evident. Can anyone offer any advice?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Did you remember to hit the battery disconnect solenoid switch so the battery was back in service again? That would be the first place to check.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry - brand new to RVs and didn't know there was such a switch. Is it a toggle switch on the dash? If so I've tried it off and on numerous times. I don't think that's it. I have to drive 50 miles every time I want to work on it so I may go there again on Wednesday night, flashlight in hand. I'll recharge the battery and try that anyway - hopefully you're right. But it doesn't seem like it's getting power to the starter solenoid. Its getting power to the small wire that actually engages the solenoid but not to the cable that - in a car - would come directly from the battery. In the case of this motorhome the hot battery cable goes to one of those house solenoids which then has to engage and send current to the starter solenoid, which then is supposed to engage and send current to the starter. Am I right? If that's the case, could the house batteries be shorted or that house solenoid be bad?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Those solenoids are for disconencting the batteries when you aren't using the coach. IF they are in the "store" position then you won't have power. They click when they are switched. Rocker switch on the dash or on the panel near the side entry door or on the overhead by the door.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it must be that one is for the coach and the other is for the starter solenoid? I only see one toggle switch on the dashboard that might be what you're talking about but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I've tried it with that switch in both the on and off position, but if the solenoid is faulty it wouldn't matter that it was on. Can I jump past that solenoid with that switch on as a test? If I jump across the two big posts on that solenoid, it should then send power to the starter solenoid - right?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

It will provide power to the keyswitch and that will allow the starter to turn over.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Definitely not that then because there is power to the switch
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Not a toggle switch, but a rocker style switch that is spring loaded and pops back to the original position when you release it.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to track down the disconnect switch or do you still need some additional input from me here?