Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2004 motor coach on a freightliner chassy 330

Customer Question

Hey ,
I have a 2004 motor coach on a freightliner chassy 330 cummins
Engine does not idle , it stays on only when I have the paddle all the way down .
Would this be the fuel filter issues ? Have not changed them in 10 months and they have about 10k miles .
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

It is possible a plugged filter could cause this so I would replace them and see if that takes care of the issue, make sure you pre-fill the filters with clean diesel and then before starting cycle the key about 6 times, turn the key on but do not start, you should hear the lift pump run for about 30 seconds and then stop, turn the key off and repeat, this will ensure the system is primed. Make sure the filters are tight when you put them on, if not they could suck air.. Beyond that I might have the engine scanned for any codes, this would need to be done by a shop or mobile service that has the cummins software, in the long run that could save time and money and take the guess work out to what is going on.... Hope this helps some... Robert

22 Au

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

HI... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Changed the filters
Engine starts idles , 2k Rpms
Then about 1 -2 minutes the engine turns off . No check engine light on
Almost like looses prime
Above the fuel sep filter there is a knob to push and prime seems like fuel is coming out slowly around the knob could it be sucking air through there ?
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

OK

Fuel should not be coming out around the knob and this really does sound like you could be sucking air into the system as if you were then it can cause the engine to shut down one way to tell if that is going on or would be a good indication is after the engine shuts off cycle that key and let the lift pump run and then do that for six times and see if it starts right back up if so then it sounds like you are getting air into the system and if you are seeing fuel around the knob it is suspect...... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi..... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert