Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Having problems with water pump recycling every 15 sec after

Customer Question

Having problems with water pump recycling every 15 sec after filling up tanks with city water. The city water used the same line as water pump but a bypass valve allows water into the holding tank when open and it closes when pump is in use. All fittings, taps and connections are free of water. Have drained water tank and installed new city water connector. Have bled the lines 4 times and there is no more sputtering of air. I can't get the pump to quit recycling. Help
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

The pump cycles when there is a leak. That may be internal to the pump due to debris in the diaphragms and is usually from plastic chips out of the tank. These can be cleaned out with compressed air once you take the pump out and take the head off. Not hard. It can also be from a crack in the water filter (if you have one). Naturally, you don't have the pump on when you are hooked up to city water as there is no need for that and it can damage the pump. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or if you need more input from me here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The pump is not the problem nor do I have a leak, as all water pipe connections have been checked and rechecked. I changed the city water outlet too. Still the pump recycles. Any ideas?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

If the pump recycles, then it is the problem if you have no leaks. The pressure switch may be defective or dirty. IF you don't have a filter on the inlet side of the pump, I can just about guarantee you there is some debris inside it. I see this question frequently here and in my own shop about once a month. You can exchange out the pump if you don't want to replace it. Not hard and a new one is around $100 or so depending on which one you get.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
None of the information you gave me here helped be find the problem. The problem still exists and is very annoying. We have to shut the pump off all the time between uses. I will take it to an RV dealer when I get home from my trip. I don't think your advice was worth the money. Do I get a refund?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

If you ask for one it will be provided. I think I gave you what was needed to repair it, but that may not have been something you wanted to tackle. Not a problem as RV repairs aren't that easy.