gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have a 1986 33' Allegro and need to replace the awning

Customer Question

I have a 1986 33' Allegro and need to replace the awning cover. The awning is an Omni Awn that appears to be out of business. What I need to know is what size rope to use in ordering a new awning. The top of the Allegro and the bottom for the Omni Awn.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Are you just replacing the cloth and need to know the size of the insert that goes into the awing rail on the side of the coach? If not, please explain or attach a photo so I can see what you are referring to here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need to know the size of the insert on the RV and the roller of the awning. Yes, I am trying to replace the cloth/vinyl of the awning but this information is required to order it.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

The "rope" is a standard size so that is not a problem, but I need to do some checking on the diameter of the roller. Does it have two slots or three?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The roller is 3 slots and what is the standard size?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the roller end standard rope also?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

They vary some. Most are about 4" diameter. There is a slight difference in the ones made by A & E and Carefree. And yes on the rope for the roller side. I am not at my shop now, but I can get you some exact measurements in the morning. Will that work for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
tomorrow will be fine as I would prefer to have the exact size of the rope since I am in Oklahoma and ordering the awning from Michigan. Thank-you and look forward to your answer in the morning.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All I need is the rope size though as I know how far it rolls out but the company asked me for the rope size as they do not have the information on the Omni Awn.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I will get that when I go into the shop tomorrow and get back to you.