Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Generator starts and runs fine but when you turn on the AC

Customer Question

generator starts and runs fine but when you turn on the AC it kills the generator, the AC when prugged in to the wall works fine
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

What is the make and model of your genset? Do you have any other AC uses on at the time like the water heater on AC mode perhaps? Get back to me with this information and I can assist you further here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Omni genset 4000 no nothing else is on. We have used the AC before, this problem just started 2 weeks ago. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

And you don't have any other AC things on? What is the output AC voltage with no load?

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Hopefully, you got this resolved as I didn't hear back from you. You can always return to this posting again if you Bookmark it and we can do a follow up. All part of our service and please take time to enter a rating as that is the only way I get credit for my time spent helping you. Thanks! Be safe........

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what is ac output and how do we find it? we are not always by our desk top so some times we are a little slow getting back. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

The AC voltage coming out of the generator to the plugs. If that is low without any load on the set it may need some service. Use a small digital multimeter to check that. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I will also make a phone chat offer for you in case you feel that would be quicker. Some of our customers prefer this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We will do that but to clarify we are talking about the Air Conditioner, with the generator running and we turn the air conditioner on it shuts off the generator. We can plug the air conditioner into the home electric and it works. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

I got that.......I need to know what the "no load" voltage is coming out of the generator. If that is too low, the A/C will labor and it will shut down the set.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi we are getting 120 on all the outlets
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

That should be enough, but load testing the genset would be the only sure way to tell. I had one a few years back in my shop that did the same thing. Not sure if you can find someone in your area with a load bank for testing. Another thing to check is what the AC volts drop to when you have the A/C running. It should be above 105 VAC for sure. Try that and let me know.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.