Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Onan gen set model 5.5BGMMFA26105H. Starts and runs under

Customer Question

Onan gen set model 5.5BGMMFA26105H. Starts and runs under load then starts to surge after about 15 mins. Then shuts down.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a small digital multimeter so you can take some voltage measurements? I would like to know what the output AC voltage is here before we go much further.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't . It will run both A/c units for about 20 min. then starts to surge. Turned them off and gen set smoothes out after a couple of min
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any other uses on? Water heater on AC mode? Fridge on AC mode? Keep in mind that as the ambient temps go up, so does the power demand. These are rated at 95 degrees and so for every 5 degrees ambient the temp goes up, the AC pulls another amp or 120 watts. On a very hot day that draw can be up to about 7 additional amps per unit. The genset may need some adjustment as well and that can make a difference. I would turn off all other AC uses and take a voltage reading inside and see what the reading is. Under 110 VAC is going to be a problem here.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hopefully, you got this resolved as I didn't hear back from you. You can always return to this posting again if you Bookmark it and we can do a follow up. All part of our service and please take time to enter a rating as that is the only way I get credit for my time spent helping you. Thanks! Be safe........