Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have no power to half the RV. The microwave, AC, radio and

Customer Question

I have no power to half the RV. The microwave, AC, radio and plugs but the lights work fine. I have checked the breakers and fuses and all are good.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It happened Saturday morning and then came back. And has been out now since yesterday evening.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2016 Stryker
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have checked the breakers and fuses.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The generator won't stay running
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Are you running the generator for power or on shore cord? Do you have an inverter and if so, the make and model? Having a small digital multimeter would be very helpful here for testing. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this. Get back to me with this information and I can help you sort this out. All follow ups and excanges between us are covered in our fee.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We're plugged in to power. My husband was just trying to trouble shoot and see if things would work using the generator. Where do I find the information for the inverter?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

It would be in with the manuals that came with the coach. Sometimes, when you lose part of your power on the AC side it can be an inverter problem or perhaps just a tripped GFCI outlet or even an adapter on the shore cord (if you are using one). Some generator models won't run without a good DC power source and most appliances won't either, so batteries are always an issue if they are out of water or failing. Having a small digital mutimeter here would really be helpful. Abut $20 or so at most hardare stores if you don't have one and easy to use. I can direct him in that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have any manual for the inverter. There's a manual for everything else which doesn't help me now. Where is the inverter located?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

IF you have one, it is usually located near the batteries or in a storage compartment. Not all of these have one. About the size of a lunch pail. What is the make and model of your RV and maybe I can tell you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2016 Stryker STG3212
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Let me look and see what I can find here......

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My husband found the inverter and tested it. That's the issue. It seems odd that the inverter would crap out on a brand new unit.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.........I have a shop and sometimes I get covered up. Is it that or did is just need to be reset? Make and model?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My husband has got it figured out. I guess the power plug or cord got bumped and tripped out the inverter. I don't really know what he did but we have power again. Generator seems to be a separate issue.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Did he check the breakers on the generator? Maybe those are tripped.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Hopefully, you got this resolved as I didn't hear back from you. You can always return to this posting again if you Bookmark it and we can do a follow up. All part of our service and please take time to enter a rating as that is the only way I get credit for my time spent helping you. Thanks! Be safe........

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, been busy. Back now! My husband figures the generator won't start because last time we used it, it ran out of fuel and now it won't prime. Is there a trick to getting it to prime properly?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Take the line off at the carb and try priming it to be sure that you aren't flooding it. Use a container to catch any fuel coming out. If none come out, you may other issues that need to be addressed. Make and model of the generator would help here.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Just checking back to see if you were able to get the genset to fire up and run?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not yet... Maybe he'll take a minute to look at it today. Will keep you posted.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

10-4