Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a coachmen prism class C RV and the steps will not

Customer Question

I have a coachmen prism class C RV and the steps will not retract. Previously, the magnet that sits at the base of the door that triggers the steps fell off so we glued it. Today, it just flat out stopped working.
How do I disconnect it or get it to manually retract?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

What you should be able to do is run another magnet to next to the one that sits on the base of the door to test, the step should run in and out. OF course this could be an issue with the motor control box for the motor or a wiring issue such as a blown fuse. So to start I would check all the fuses in the chassis fuse box, normally that would be outside. Next what you can do is disconnect the motor wires and get a 12 volt battery and some jumper wires, jump the motor direct and see if it moves, if it does not move swap the jumper wires and it should go, if it does not move bad motor. IF the motor runs then I would check and see if you have voltage going into the control box if you have voltage going into the control box then it is the problem. I would also inspect the wiring for that magnet make sure it did not come apart.. Hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

I saw your last comment about getting it to manual retract, try and start the engine release the parking brake and put the engine in drive.... Should have an emergency retract, if that does not work then I would see if you can in fact jump power to the motor wires it should go if the motor is still good...

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert