Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

2000 four winds windsport Noticed the wall below drivers

Customer Question

2000 four winds windsport
Noticed the wall below drivers window is loose.
took screws out of rack and they show rust
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

IF the screws are rusted then water has been getting in and it is a good bet it has been running down the inside of the wall board and made it come loose. This can be an expensive repair, in a nut shell the window would have to come out and then the wall board removed to check the framing around the window and behind the wall board under the window, the wall board is normally glued to the frame when it gets wt it will give and come loose.

The water probably got in from where the window meets the fiberglass on the outside, over time vibration can cause the screws to loosen and when that happens water can start to seep through the window, many RV manufacturers do NOT seal with silicone where the window meets the fiberglass on the outside.

So everything would need to be pulled and see the extent of the leak, if the wood is soft then it needs to be replaced, if it is just stained then treated with kilz, any insulation between the framing would also need to be replaced. Not sure if this is something you want to tackle, in the shop this type of repair might cost between 8 and 16 hours of labor depending on the damage, not to much in supplies the labor would be costly.

IF you want a quick easy fix I would pull the rusted screws, put new stainless screws in and put some clear silicone in the holes and then go to the outside of the window and seal all the way around the window where it meets the fiberglass with clear silicone. If the screws will not grab a trick would be to put a small zip tie into the hole and then put the screw in, the zip tie will bunch up and grab whatever is in the area then you cut the zip tie off once the screw is in, have used that trick a few times...

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert