Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My steps wouldn T active when open door.1998 monaco windsor

Customer Question

my steps wouldn T active when open door.1998 monaco windsor 38ft,on_off switch is good,voltage appears to ne around8.5volts.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I would like to fix myself. I m interested in locating related fuse or breaker related to the steps
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?
Customer: no, very limited inf on most items
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not at this time
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

HI my name is Robert....

Check all you connections really good, 8.5 volts will not run the steps, you need over 11 volts. Go to the motor below the step and check the main ground and check the control box as well, the wires will be going from the control box to the motor. IF you have 8.5 volts then the fuse is good as you would get NO voltage at all. What you can also do is jump the motor direct with a charged 12 volt drill battery and see if the step moves, if not swap the jumper wires and it should go, if it does not move jumping the motor then the motor is bad, try smacking the motor a few times as well, sometimes moisture can get inside and cause the motor to rust and seize up. IF the motor works good jumping power go to the control box and make sure you have good voltage going into the control box. Check your house and chassis battery voltage as well make sure it is over 11 volts. This sounds like you could have a loose or corroded connection and I would start with inspect the wiring under the step as it is exposed to the elements, make sure everything is clean and tight and then I would try to jump the motor and see if the step will move...... Hope this helps some.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert