Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a 1996 Holiday Rambler with a Cummins Diesel. It has

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Holiday Rambler with a Cummins Diesel. It has been setting for over a year.
I went to try to start it and of course the battery was dead but after replacing the battery and knowing it is fully charged I still have no power ANYWHERE.
Any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Are you missing all the house and chassis power??? DO you have a disconnect switch inside for the house or chassis OR do you have a manual switch near the batteries???

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already know there is no House power as the batteries are dead there as well but as for the Chassis there is no power at all. To my knowledge there is not a disconnect and when it was parked it started and ran fine and nothing was touched as far as inside the unit. I parked it and it has sat in front of my house. I am wondering if one of the Battery leads may be so corroded that the power just cannot get through.
I have no power at the control panel , the ignition , or even at the Onan.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

A dirty or corroded cable can cause issues, make sure the main ground the the frame is also clean and tight, follow the battery cable and look for a breaker or fuse in-line, the chassis battery cable should be going to a fuse box outside, inside that box will be fuses and possibly the breakers. Below is a picture of what the breaker can look like, most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip, they can be on the cable to the fuse box or in the fuse box. Each side of the breaker should have voltage to chassis ground. IF one side reads higher then it could be the problem. Have to trace the voltage from the battery to the outside fuse box, a good test light or volt meter will tell you where you are missing the power. To me it sounds like you may have a tripped breaker.... Also if you find any solenoids check the LARGE cables for power, if you have power on one side of the solenoid and not the other get an insulated wire and jump the posts and see if your power comes on, I only mention the solenoid is because some H/R models had a battery disconnect inside for both the chassis and house, so if it has a switch then it will have a solenoid. Some H/R units had a manual cutoff at the battery and some had both. Hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.....