peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

We are new owners and can't get the engine to crank. We have

Customer Question

We are new owners and can't get the engine to crank. We have good new batteries and replaced the starter recently. Seems like one or more of the self tests may not be allowing the engine to crank, but i'm not at all sure about that
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: the engine will not crank--turn over. It has run fine when it starts. Just am not getting to the part where it allows the starter to engage.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire diesel pusher (ISC 350 engine)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes...i don't know what to look for on the dashboard that differs from a normal start. I have the Parking brake light on, (but the air pressures for front and back are remaining below 50 psi at the moment), i have the "noise maker running constantly when in the on position, and i also have an on-dash indicator that appears to be a gear with cogs that surrounds an exclamation point (which i do not know what it means).
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: New batteries, new starter, and we hear some clicking that may or may not be the starter solenoid
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be due to a possible internal electrical fault in the transmission position/range sensor needing replaced.I have seen this fail before in the past needing replaced for this issue here.If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model this needs done.If any codes have set the codes will need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete