Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I think I need to replace my converter in my 2008 sunnybrook

Customer Question

I think I need to replace my converter in my 2008 sunnybrook travel trailer. My indoor lights are running off of my battery and draining it and lights are dying shortly after charging the battery. I checked the battery and it is fine. All the 12 volt fuses are good as well. Fridge, microwave, a/c working as well. When I looked at converter I could not hear the fan at all. Any ideas?
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have not tried to fix. Not sure what to fix!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is one light that seems to work only sometimes when all the other lights are fine. Checked bulbs and they are all good.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Easy enough to test if you have a small digital mutlimeter like you can find at most hardware stores. About $20 and easy to use. A good converter should be putting out about 13.7 VDC give or take a tenth and not over .5 VAC ripple which is some of the AC bleeding out into the DC side. Older converters do this as they age. Some converters are builtin and part of the load center like Magnetek and WFCO and some are stand alone units. Batteries that are over 3 years old are suspect and should be load tested to be sure they are good and viable. Clean or replace any cables that have heavy corrosion on them. If you need more input from me here or help with the testing get back to me as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need some additional input from me here?