Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My towing capacity on my F250 Diesel lariat states it is

Customer Question

My towing capacity on my F250 Diesel lariat states it is 14000 pounds. I am looking at a 5th wheel that states hitch weight 2678 dry weight 14188 Gross Weight 16600. Would this put undue stress on the engine/towing capacity. All these numbers are confusing.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

That would be slightly over the maximum allowable weight and any 5th wheel that heavy should be pulled by a 1 ton truck. I think you would not be happy with the results on this and it would open you up to a fine if they stopped you and checked the weight. Perhaps look at one not quite as heavy and allow some for loading up your equipment. Don't forget the hitch is part of the weight you would be "towing" here. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if I understand you correctly, the engine is fine just that the subspension is not where it should be for this.... how do I increase the towing capactity? Would the hitch and air bags work for my problem?
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

You could make some changes, but you are going to be kind of pushing it on the power end. Most trailers that large have a 7.4L or larger engine and gearing accordingly. Your rear end ratio is important as well. I would hate to see you overdo this and have truck problems.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need some additional input from me here?