Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Power awning will not retract, 2010 frontier, Hoping to

Customer Question

Power awning will not retract
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2010 frontier
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping to manually retract it so I can get on the road
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When I depress retract switch I can hear a click. This is a dometic power awning
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: From the right side this is the first time to have trouble
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Are you plugged into shore power or not? IF not, plug back in as this may be just that your batteries are low.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

I took a break for breakfast.............did you see my previous response?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm plugged in
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

How old are the batteries? If over 3 years old there is a good chance they may be failing and the first place you notice that is any motor driven device. Load testing would show that. IF the motor is making a sound like it is turning while you hit the switch then chances are good that it is stripped or a pin sheared, but you said it just clicks, so that usually indicates a bad DC source. Try unplugging the lead up at the motor and re-plugging it in again. Sometimes they just get some moisture in there. You can hook up a jumper there and use another 12 VDC source to get it back up as long as the motor is good. Otherwise, it takes two people and a ladder. Let me know what you find. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need some additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hooking up a jumper to my truck battery did not work
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

The motor must be damaged and that is a pretty common problem with this model. Do you still need to roll it up? It will take a ladder and another pair of hands. I can give you that if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I still need to roll it up
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

You will need to take the bolt out at the top of the arm right under the motor and then disconnect the motor lead from the harness. You will need someone to help support the awing and hold onto it as you allow the spring on the other end to assist you in rolling it up. Once you get it up to top you can insert the motor into the let again and put the bolt back in so it will stay up until you can get it to the shop. OR have a mobile tech come out and service them motor for you at your location. This may be easier to understand over a phone chat.