Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.

I just had my diesel generator replaced on my VIA motorhome.

Customer Question

i just had my diesel generator replaced on my VIA motorhome. Cummings says there is too much pressure coming from the fuel line and that it may damage the Onan generator which has its own fuel pump. They said that I needed to have a separate fuel line for the fuel tank installed. They speculated that the generator that was replaced with less than 50 hours failed because of this problem.
My Via was purchased new in 2010. Its VIN is VDXPF445X99418996. Serial number is
Do you have any history with other VIAs that would support their opinion? Should I be concerned? What do you think?
Category: RV
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

Both the RV and the Gen fuel pumps are same pressure

7-9 lbs, so I don't see that being a issue

it failed for other reasons

I hope this helped you

Hi. If this helped you,

please remember to rate my answer 3 or more stars.

If more info is needed, use the reply button -

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
Yes, the genset needs to have a separate pick up from the fuel tank than the main engine does.
The genset fuel pump is only rated for 3 - 5 psi, and the higher pressure of the coach fuel pump can damage the genset.
Even if the fuel system could hold the pressure, the genset can starve the main engine for fuel if you run the genset while driving down the road.
Onan clearly states in the Installation Manuals that the genset needs to have a dedicated pick up from the tank.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?