Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

Battery is good but can't get anything to work in my RV, Had

Customer Question

Battery is good but can't get anything to work in my RV
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Had it test and it was good
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2003 Adirondack
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, just checked fuses,breakers,etc, the overload light is on though
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I did accidentally hooked up the generator to my 30 amp cord that would hook to shore power, in hooked it and then hooked up to my battery charger and started to charge my battery
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Are you plugged into shore power? Are you missing but the AC and DC voltage? The AC voltage would be the microwave, TV, outlets etc.... OR are you unplugged and have no DC voltage???

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not plugged in to shore power, just the battery and no power
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No DC power coming in
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

First verify your voltage at the battery, make sure it is over 12 volts, next follow the cables and look for a tripped breaker, below is a picture. As a general rule they like to stick them 18" from the battery and can be on the frame, most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip. IF you see any at all I would check for voltage on each post, the voltage should be very close, if one side reads higher (to chassis ground) then it is the problem. IF it is not a breaker or fuse problem in-line it could be an issue with the power converter, it will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage when you are plugged in and then switch over to battery power when you unplug. Some converters are part of the main fuse/breaker panel and others will stand alone and plug into an outlet, the stand alone style will have two fuses on it, or at least the majority do. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.....