Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2015 5TH Wheel Trailer and the Dometic refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a 2015 5TH Wheel Trailer and the Dometic refrigerator will not every time over 9000 feet. Some days it works all day long and other days I will have to manually light it. Once lit it works fine and shuts off when desired temp is met. I have open the cover to give it more oxygen where the pilot is and that helped, but not fool proof.
This is my 7th trailer and the first one to give us problems. It is the 4th trailer with the spark starter. All the rest never had a problem.
Dealer is no help and even stated not designed to work up that high.
Thanks Rick
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Probably not going to like this answer but A LP fridge can start to have issues above 5500'. I know you have owned others and they may have worked but it is very possible the current model will not work properly at 9K'. My suggestion would be to try and check the LP pressure at that altitude to make sure it is correct, if the pressure was not right then it could give you problems, it can change with altitude. In order to check the LP pressure you would need a manometer, hook it up to the back of the fridge and see what the pressure is, it should be around 11.5" of water column. Also I know on some older models the gas orifice can be changed out to make up for the altitude change, I do not know if there is one for your model, you would have to call some RV parts stores and see if there is anything available for your model.....

Hope this helps some... Robert

Also make sure the DC voltage is good going into the fridge, if the voltage was a little low it could cause problems with starting. Also I might try and move the electrode or what sparks a little bit closer to the burner tube and blow out the burner tube really good want to make sure that is clean and clear.....

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No help! I'll move the electrode closer then what the dealer did on warranty work.
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry we are required to respond to each customer no matter how bad the news. My only other suggestion would be to pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol, make sure it is not gummed up, move the electrode a bit closer. My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like a refund please let me know, I only get credit if you were to select a rating.... Robert