gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

The fridge isn't coming on, 1989 fleet wilderness 29' Yes,

Customer Question

The fridge isn't coming on
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 1989 fleet wood wilderness 29'
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, we have the manual and are trying those instructions. We just purchased the trailer it is in great shape and everything else works except this. It has been in an airplane hanger the last 7 years could non use be an issue?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: We have tried everything in the manual
But it seems it's getting no power at all. No heating no cooking?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Cooling
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Sitting that long is not good for a fridge. Take a look on the inside of the fridge and give me the model number off the data tag. If you don't see it there, look on the rear after you open up the outside inspection cover down in the lower left hand corner. Is the manual you have the Owner's Manual of a Service Manual?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a Dometic RM 2601 gas electric
We have the owners manual
And a Dometic installation and operating manual
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

This is a manual model and only requires 12 VDC for the ignitor on LP mode. It will work on AC mode without any DC power. You do have to be plugged into 120 VAC with the shore cord first. You can take a 12 VDC test light or small digital multimeter and see if you have 12 VDC to the rea/r of the fridge where the power leads come in from the trailer and if so, you should get a spark when you turn the selector switch to "GAS" and push the gas valve button. Sitting that long may have affected the LP regulator at the tanks so you might want to have that checked or just replace it with a good Marshall regulator. About $40 or so. If the fridge comes on and the coils begin to get hot, but no cooling is noticed there may be an issue with the cooling unit and we can test that. Give it about 4-6 hours on first. Get back to me with the results and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee. I will make a phone chat offer for you as well.