gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

If the 12 v batteries that are brand new have loss there

Customer Question

If the 12 v batteries that are brand new have loss there charge when plugged into a120v circuit. Do I replace the inverter
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: The batteries are brand new
JA: What year is your V?
Customer: 25 yrs old
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If it means replacing the inverter yes I am capable of that. I have put new batteries in my fifth wheel thinking that the 10 yr old batteries were finished
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The 12 v lights cycle between bright and dim several times a minute with a clicking sound in between
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

What is the make and model of your load center? Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing of the coverter? It sounds like that might be the problem. A good converter should put out about 13.7 VDC with not more than .5 VAC ripple which is some of the AC current bleeding out into the DC circuit. Older converters are well know to have more than 6 or 7 VAC sometimes of ripple. If you have an older Magnetek load center it can be upgraded. Get back to me and I can direct you futher here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Just checking back to see if you perhaps missed my earlier response to your question? If you already resolved this issue please let me know or if you still need assistance you can repond when you are ready. Thanks!