Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

We took the motorhome out overnight and when we came home we

Customer Question

We took the motorhome out overnight and when we came home we parked it and it would not start or turn over./ The slide out worked radio worked and lights. When we turned the key everything that was lite up dimmed. The leveling jackes dont work the stairs dont work, I am hoping you can help as it is in my driveway and cant move to shop
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

I think the key to all this is when you turned the key everything dimmed. I would advise to pull the starting battery and have it load tested, if the battery was in poor condition then it would be an issue, you could have had a draw on the battery overnight and it does not have enough juice to turn the engine over. The other problem that this could be is the starter or starter solenoid, that would be something to look at if the battery checks out good, if the starter was not engaging then it could cause the lights to go dim when you turn the key. I would have the battery load tested to start, always have to start with the battery and then go from there...... Also follow the battery cable to the outside fuse box and make sure there is not a tripped breaker on that cable or inside the outside fuse box. Hope this points you in the right direction...... Robert

Also make sure the parking brake is set and the RV is in park.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you talking about fuse boxes in front compartment or is there a breaker box some where in the coach, We just bought this last week and have not done much in it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There are relays on a box that also has big fuses like 60 amp and so on
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Normally for the chassis you will have two fuse boxes, one the RV manufacturer installs and one the chassis manufacturer will put in. On many of the Ford chassis's there is a fuse block under the drivers instrument panel, the panel around the gauges would swing up or have a few screws you have to remove to take out and then the fuse block is up high. The RV manufacturer will install another box that is normally outside in the engine compartment or a front storage bay. I would suspect the stairs and jacks would be wired to that outside box. So I would get a test light and probe all the fuses in that box with the ignition ON, see where you have power and where it is missing. I am not sure if the engine not starting has anything to do with the stairs and jacks but the fuse box would be a good starting point. The positive battery cable from the starting battery should go to that outside fuse box...

I would still suggest having the battery load tested just to be 100% sure it is not part of the problem. Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....