Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I just bought a 1989 Fleetwood Southwind. 33 ft. It has an

Customer Question

I just bought a 1989 Fleetwood Southwind. 33 ft. It has an 18 foot awning (Faulkner Ultra Super shade) the arm on the front has pulled out of the roof attachment area.
The previous owner tried to fix it with a couple of 2 inch long plastic drywall plugs and 2.5 in self tapping screws. DIDN"T WORK
Now the railing that seems to support the awning the length of the RV is pulled off about 7 feet from the front of the RV to the middle. the rear seems to be in good shape.
1. How do I safely take off the awning? It seems like I either must straighten the rail or buy a new one.
2. Can just a portion of the rail be replaced or is it necessary to be one length?
3. I've done autobody repair for 15 years so I am not afraid to tackle this...just not sure of the tensions, and the Faulkner instructions are not very clear. (I have the original installation manual..2-3 pages of folded flyer. )
4. Can an awning rail be restraighened. It looks to me like it is aluminum so it is probably stressed and stretched. I'm thinking probably not.
The roof is not leaking, no water damage to the interior where the damage is.
The roof fabric seems to be in really decent shape thought faded from the sun.
There are some overly large holes though from the previous owners attempt to repair.
Do I need to pull out the interior cabinets and trim panels above the passenger side to repair this? It looks like I may need to, but don't want to unnecessarily start ripping out the interior.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

You usually can repair this from the outside only. I would replace the whole rail unless the damaged portion is very short. The awning has to be removed from the coach first and that involves pinning the right side so it won't unwind on you. Attach a photo or two to your post and I can direct you in some repair suggestions. All follow ups are included in our fee.